Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Long Weekend at the Cabin

Why is it that there isn't a happier place on Earth than a North Woods cabin? Is it because us Minnesotans were raised to cherish the smell of pine, the sound of loons, and the look of the early morning sun reflecting off one of our 10,000+ lakes? Or is it just because beer tastes that much better at a slightly dumpier version of home where a bonfire is the main evening attraction? Who knows and who really cares. Cabins are just the best. This past weekend Jared & I joined his family at their cabin near Sturgeon Lake, MN. It was a great time, as usual, but I am very upset with myself that I did not get ANY pictures while we were there. Especially because I tried waterskiing for the first time ever and got up on my 4th try! Not too shabby, ay? But anyway, to make a long story short, the weekend was spent playing cards, making bonfires, floating in our deluxe floaties, watersports on the boat, eating tons of food, and drinking our favorite outdoor summer drink: "Strip & Go Nakeds" (recipe below). Oh yes, and we also got to spend some quality bonding time with our OH SO CUTE niece (God Daughter) Avery, and nephew Jaxon (cue in the "awwww"s): The weather was on & off, and when rain came on Sunday morning we decided to make the 1/2 hour drive to Duluth for a little antique shopping and to catch a movie: District 9. This movie got great reviews but it didn't do much for me. None the less, what should have been a rainy gloomy day turned out to be a great one. Worst part of the weekend: On Sunday morning as I was carefully walking down a wet flight of outdoor stairs, my flip-flop slipped out from under me and I slid down about 8 stairs right on my butt. Jared, who was standing on the ground below, watched me in horror as he witnessed what he later explains as, "Ashley with a possessed look on her face sliding down half the stairs, pausing for a second, and then proceeding to slide down the rest while looking me straight in the eye, as if she didn't like my reaction enough from her first fall." I have no clue what he's talking about, as that sounds like a scene from The Excorcist to me, but no matter what the explanation is I still have a huge black bruise right on my tush. :-/ We came home on Monday, and that night was a great extension to a great weekend as my bridesmaids and I picked out and ordered dresses! We did end up going with the dress posted below, in a color called "firecracker", which is I'd say a mix between peach and salmon. Hard to explain, but pretty. Check! Recipe for Strip & Go Nakeds Ingredients: 6 cans of beer 12 oz Frozen Lemonade Concentrate (1 carton) 12 oz Vodka Directions: Mix all ingredients together in large pitcher. Serve over ice & enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment